Monday, October 29, 2007

sound effects

I only need two types of sound effects for my project, the Big Brother theme music, and some crackles and mic noise, because the sound recorded in the lab seems too clean for audio that is supposed to be recorded using mics attached to the body.

This morning I spent a couple of hours trying to get the Big Brother theme tune, and was eventually successful. It was actually quite informative, and I'll probably use the technology I discovered in future. First I tried unsuccessfully to download an mp3, then I found on YouTube a video file which had kind of a megamix of all the theme music from Big Brother. I used ripvideo.net to download the file to my computer (I didn't know you could even do this!) which gives you a flv file, so I had to download an flv player as well. However, this didn't solve the problem of getting the audio from the video file. Then I found a program called Freecorder which records audio from your browser window (so you can record basically any sound that plays through your pc speakers), so after a bit of playing around with the settings, I managed to record the audio from the video playing on youtube. And the sound quality isn't really that bad.

Here is a link to the mp3 I recorded using this process.

No comments: